• stats Total Categories: 3
  • stats Total Boards: 19
  • stats Most Online: 251

Author Topic: 4.2  (Read 3934 times)

ttd

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« on: August 30, 2013, 01:37:24 pm »
So, I have been playing 4.2 for the last couple of days.

Thoughts?

Hits... Really not much different. High ping (160 or so) low ping (<50) about the same for me as 4.1.

Animation...different, will take some getting used to.

It feels different to me but I am using wine.  So far nothing I have run in wine has felt the same as running it directly on the os.

I guess the bottom line is: Yes, I could play 4.2 if they kill the server browser for 4.1 the first of the year. (as rumored)

Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

RexGoodthings

• adminserver
    • View Profile
Re: 4.2
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 02:59:12 pm »
You may not have noticed me, but I saw you briefly yesterday (I was playing as 'jjb').

Most people seem to think hits are about the same, but for me they seem somewhat improved.

I really disliked the animations at first, but have gotten used to them.

I'm not sure why you're using wine?  But 4.2 does take a little adjustment.  I've found that I had to lower my sensitivity a little (from 5 to 4.8).  Overall though, I was able to jump in without any problems.

For me the biggest issue with 4.2 is a lack of players.  Still, there are 5 or 6 servers that are consistently populated where I have reasonable ping.
The reverend don't tell me his business, so I don't see any reason to tell him mine.

Lenin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:50:10 pm »
You may not have noticed me, but I saw you briefly yesterday (I was playing as 'jjb').

Most people seem to think hits are about the same, but for me they seem somewhat improved.

I really disliked the animations at first, but have gotten used to them.

I'm not sure why you're using wine?  But 4.2 does take a little adjustment.  I've found that I had to lower my sensitivity a little (from 5 to 4.8).  Overall though, I was able to jump in without any problems.

For me the biggest issue with 4.2 is a lack of players.  Still, there are 5 or 6 servers that are consistently populated where I have reasonable ping.

Hey Rex,  which servers you play?

RexGoodthings

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 07:23:09 pm »
Hey Lenin.

Mostly tR| CTF or TDM.  Also play some TDM at Hyd or Canadian Carnage.  On Sunday nights 30+ Kickin' it CTF server is a lot of fun.  Hopefully I'll see you around.
The reverend don't tell me his business, so I don't see any reason to tell him mine.

Lenin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 07:29:04 pm »
Sure. I play on tR| CTF or TDM. I'm playing a league in 4.2. But my fps dropped a lot. See you there :)!  Please Do not kill me so much!  :-\

RexGoodthings

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 01:56:20 pm »
Sure. I play on tR| CTF or TDM. I'm playing a league in 4.2. But my fps dropped a lot. See you there :)!  Please Do not kill me so much!  :-\

Ha!  I'll be hiding from you for sure.

ttd

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 06:27:05 pm »
I'll be hiding from both of you!
Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Lenin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 06:41:36 pm »
lol ttd. Your SR8 scares me.  :P

Decado

• adminserver
  • Advisor to General Custer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 10:57:08 pm »
I've been playing 4.2 on tr| TDM for the lat week or so, it's about the only on with good player numbers and ping for me.

As far as playability I find 4.2 to be not a lot different to 4.1 in the current release, the hitbox is about the same for my as 4.1. I think I scored int he top one or two players the first game I played which shows it must be pretty well the same.

Like Rex, the animations are a bit jarring at first because they are just so different to what we are used to. The first time I shot someone and the avatar gave it's colouful little wriggly death throws I stood there going "wow. will you look at that! That's so different" and of course someone filled me full of lead LOL

I could change over fairly easily if Frozen Sands do indeed push the change over in the new year.

I think it probably is time that we tried running a 4.2 server when iPWN can find the time abnd resources to devote to it. We're going to have to change eventually so nothing for leaving it till the last minute.

Regards
Dec
---------------------------------------------------
Old Age and Treachery Oft Overcome Youth and Skill

ttd

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 10:13:04 am »

My sr8 is very rusty from 11.5 months of dust.

I get owned on every sr8 only server I join now.

Lenin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 12:45:05 pm »

My sr8 is very rusty from 11.5 months of dust.

I get owned on every sr8 only server I join now.

It is true. You did not play for long time.

ttd

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 09:09:23 am »

iPWN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 09:28:17 am »
Nope, I haven't.

So... suggestions?

My first one is to move the LA server to 4.2 without announcement, period. Has been almost empty... =/   (maybe the FFA one is in the same situation)
Just to see how it goes.

Despite that, I can't believe how they can shutdown for 4.1 and still haven't achieved a long stable version for the new release.

Anyway, how much costs to support the master lists for 4.1? I guess nothing ¬_¬

Honestly yes, they are destroying this.

PS: This remembers me when Google removed Google Reader from their services. Maybe that decision was backed by good reasons (money). But this one?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:36:48 am by iPWN »

Decado

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 09:48:21 am »
Well, the writing is on the wall isn't it?

I agree that this is not good at all iPWN and wonder how hard can it be to keep the 4.1 master server running?, but I noticed only today that the servers on the list have gone down from 730 or so to 532 in the last 2 weeks =-\

I guess there is no use fighting it.

The FFA server has been picking up again the last couple of weeks but that said, there's not that many FFA servers in 4.2 yet so it may be a good move to shift it over.

+1 Move FFA and LA Nights over when your personal schedule allows, give what notice you can on the forums but don't be too worried about it.

Regards
Dec

ttd

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 10:04:30 am »
In case you didn't see the link in the above linked: http://www.urtstats.net/

The lower right tells the whole story.

Decado

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 11:10:39 am »
That really interesting and no I'm not being sarcastic

At the time I looked there are more 4.2 servers than 4.1 server but more 4.1 players than 4.2. I would not be surprised if FS are doing this primarily to force the migration to 4.2.

Still, regardless of the why's and where fors, if we (TLWS) delay our move too long we are going to lose our "market share" of the players, yes it will probably re build over time but atm at least we have a decent base of players who themselves are going to start to move to 4.2 shortly and if we don't at least make a partial move we are going to lose out.

I think iPWN is probably on the mark in that we should move the least populated servers over and try and establish a presence in 4.2 and then we can delay moving the most populated server, being Germany, until the last moment practicable.

Regards
Dec

ttd

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 12:14:12 pm »
All we really need is people to be in the server.

I know I normally won't join a empty server.

I will even volunteer to sit in the server as much as I can. (as long as there aren't a bunch of bots there. heh)

I really miss the days when servers were botless, ff was on and players would actually try to even the teams. (I know, it's been a while)

I was just looking at the Urt browser. It appears that only 4 tdm servers are currently active in N.A.

I agree, it might be the perfect time to get servers established.

Fall is coming to N.A. also, player count should rise with the colder weather.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:40:14 pm by ttd »

Decado

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 12:36:10 pm »
I quite like bots but I always had FF on in my servers. I had to get used to no FF when I came to TLWS lol, now when I play elsewhere I have to be careful not to teamkill x-\

ttd

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 12:41:41 pm »
I quite like bots but I always had FF on in my servers. I had to get used to no FF when I came to TLWS lol, now when I play elsewhere I have to be careful not to teamkill x-\

Heh, me too. Especially playing ts.

I just don't like being blocked by the damn bots.....Algiers...Abby.  Bots blocking the hallways, stairs ahhhhhh, ragequit.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:44:21 pm by ttd »

iPWN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 02:10:01 pm »
In case you didn't see the link in the above linked: http://www.urtstats.net/

The lower right tells the whole story.

Wow, that site is lovely n_n

After seeing that numbers, I find completely stupid to remove the 4.1 master list. And still thinking (again)... how much costs to mantain that list? NOTHING

Around the same number of servers for 4.1 vs 4.2 and still more players active at 4.1.

Well, is their game at the end u_u

I will see if I get some spare time this wekeend to do some play with this stuff.

ttd

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 03:03:08 pm »
First time seeing more 4.2 players!!

iPWN

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 10:28:26 pm »
Still isn't a significative difference :P

LeeHiar

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 07:46:43 pm »
Hi Guys,

I have to tell, even while a long time I did'nt want to play on 4.2, since the last update, it's fun to play on it now.

No more real great difference between 4.1 and 4.2.

Decado

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 08:34:51 pm »
+1

I'll be totally honest and say I can not find much difference between them. Hitbox and all important aspects are the same for me and I'm play servers with 200+ ping for both games.

Regards
Dec

Grinder

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 07:18:50 am »
Hi all, I've been a stranger around here lately.  The truth is, I've been playing 4.2 almost exclusively since last winter.  There were some stability issues at first, but they seem to be fixed.  I actually prefer the hits, the animations, and the new weapons.  Also, there seem to be far fewer aimbots/wallhacks.  I'm an admin at CC and I think I banned one aimbot in 6 months.

It's been good to see more of you on 4.2 lately, mostly I'm on CC and hYd TDM, but you know I would also frequent a TLWS 4.2 TDM server if the ping wasn't horrid for me.  It's a shame to see the community fragmented between 4.1 and 4.2, that can only hurt us all in the end when we see empty servers in either an move on to something else.  I suppose there is a risk that some existing 4.1 players won't dl 4.2.  But I think we should make the transition.

Toxin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 03:33:56 pm »
Hai! Played a few games recently on 4.2 and i can't tell any significant improvements. Tbh i don't even know why they released 4.2, it's the same game to me, albeit a few new weapons. Though that's just my first impression.
-Stop Cheat accuse people-

#(Near)

• adminserver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 10:49:18 pm »
Two of the most significant changes in 4.2 are a great deal of bugs were fixed and more cvars are added, Toxin.  Check news[1] on UrT for further information.

[1] http://www.urbanterror.info/news/cats/urt/

Toxin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 06:54:16 pm »
Two of the most significant changes in 4.2 are a great deal of bugs were fixed and more cvars are added, Toxin.  Check news[1] on UrT for further information.

[1] http://www.urbanterror.info/news/cats/urt/

-Stop Cheat accuse people-

chrieze

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 08:42:19 pm »
played with ttd today in his clan server, he is a great player and the server remained full through the hour or so i played.

the tlws nights server is still a bit quiet, hopefully it will pick up